Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

misguided ghosts, travelling endlessly, open
shannon saunders
 Posted: Jun 15 2014, 12:18 PM
I'm breaking free from these memories Gotta let it go, just let it go I've said goodbye Set it all on fire Gotta let it go, just let it go
30HumansTA67 postsapplicationplotting
shannon saunders

Shannon has lived in London all her life but never once has she visited Buckingham Palace. She never saw the point of it, never really thought much of it. It was just some old building with historical value. The Queen wasn’t even there half the time and it wasn’t like Shan could blame her – Buckingham Palace was slap bang in the middle of London, while the other place was in Windsor. She imagined Windsor was much, much quieter.

When she was a little girl, she used to fantasise about being a princess, she used to wish that she was born to the royal family. They had beautiful clothes and never had to work so she could see her dad all the time – unlike how it was for her. But she was a grown woman now and she hasn’t seen her father in years, hasn’t spoken to him or her mother. While he wasn’t really to blame as it was her mother’s decision to get her into 24/7 therapy, he didn’t say no, either.

Of all things she would ever regret, she never regretted meeting Dominic. Yes, that might have been the thing that set everything off but every moment with him was cherished. Once she managed to fall into that circle; that was that. And even though she was a problem teenager, at the time, it seemed like the best thing in the world.

She was on a bus, deep in thought when the building caught her eye, making her decide to get off. The streets were swarmed by tourists, but then again, when were they not. After living in London for thirty years you got used to that sort of thing.

She walked towards the gate but stayed at a reasonable distance from the guards – she didn’t trust them.

tag: open.. notes: none <3 .. outfit: here
coded by marv at atf, caution & shine

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
lael roane
 Posted: Jun 27 2014, 08:37 PM
Every breathe that is in your lungs, is a tiny little gift to me.
25Humansart teacher33 postsapplicationplotting
lael roane

It's in your head,
all the voices mistaken
Lael had the day off, which with the sun shining, she decided to spend exploring. True she'd lived in London for nearly a year now, but still, there was so much she hadn't seen or even drawn. So she pulled on a pair of metallic silver jeggings, a pair of black converse and one of her favorite ridiculously colored shirts. A few necklaces, a couple bangles and a ring for nearly every finger. Even her nail polished was mismatched but she didn't care, she loved it. This was her typical style. Her pale blonde hair was down and full of natural waves, and sporadic colors, which was made pastel since she needed to have it redone soon.

Content with her outfit, she piled her drawing supplies into a faded tie-dye backpack and grabbed her blue skateboard. With that, she was out the door of her small open floor plan flat. It wasn't much but it was homey and it was hers.

Lael hopped on her skateboard and launched herself down the sidewalk, deftly dodging other pedestrians. She'd jump the curb and swerve between cars as needed. Just enjoying the feel of wind in her face. All the while her eyes scanned the scenery for something to strike her muse. It wasn't until the bright colors of the guards uniforms in front of Buckingham Palace caught her attention that her fingers began to itch to draw.

She hopped off her skateboard, deftly using her foot to pop it up and catch it as she found a seat, perfect for her drawing. She sat down with little hesitation and pulled out her pad and pencils. She began sketching away, glancing up as needed. Her pencil flying over the paper as she sank into the zone.

She glanced up to get a good look at one of the guards pants when she realized someone was in her way. The petite blonde stood with her back to Lael. With a huff, Lael called out, "Oy! Sheila, can you move please? I need to see that guards trousers!" She called to the girl. Remnants of her Australian accent still clinging to her voice.
TAG: Shannon | NOTES: Poke poke poke |
PM
^
shannon saunders
 Posted: Jun 28 2014, 06:02 PM
I'm breaking free from these memories Gotta let it go, just let it go I've said goodbye Set it all on fire Gotta let it go, just let it go
shannon saunders

Some time passed as she stood there. Seeing it from up close was quite something. She never really thought that the palace would look so… grand. Though it should have been probably obvious. It did belong to the royal family after all. Shannon stood with her hands in the pockets of her jeans as she stared at the building, admiring the architecture. She would never admit it, not even to herself, but there was something about those old buildings. Though more than those, she liked the long abandoned places. The atmosphere there was just absolutely brilliant and often times she went back to similar places to write. A few of the letters that she wrote to Dom have actually been written nearby abandoned buildings… No. She couldn’t let herself think about him, today was supposed to be one of the days that she didn’t. Admittedly, those didn’t happen very often but she had to make sure to keep him out of her head. It wasn’t like they were ever going to meet again. And even if, it wouldn’t be nice, she was sure. Considering how their last encounter went… yeah, maybe not.

She was deep in thought when she heard a familiar voice telling her to move. Unmistakable Australian accent belonged to one of the teachers at her school, Lael Roane. They worked together for a while now. Shannon relaxed and turned around before making her way over to the other, scooping her hair up into a ponytail as she did so.

“It’s Shannon, you know.” She grinned as a way of greeting before glancing over at the sketch. “Sorry I impeded you.” She continued, slipping a hand into a pocket to fish out the electronic cigarette she rarely parted with. She took a drag from it and blew out the smoke after a couple of seconds holding it in. It really wasn’t doing much for her anymore.

tag: lael.. notes: none <3 .. outfit: here

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
lael roane
 Posted: Jun 29 2014, 10:15 PM
lael roane

It's in your head,
all the voices mistaken
Lael waited patiently, it was one of her strongest character traits, for the woman to move. It wasn’t until the woman turned around that Lael realized who she was speaking to. Her eyes widened and she set down her drawing and pencils to jump to her feet. She gave Shannon a huge hug before releasing her and laughing. ”What a dunce I am! I should have recognized you with that glorious blonde hair of yours!” She said, giving a gentle tug on one of the curls. ”I was in the zone, the muses were singing my song and I am a slave to them. You know this!” She laughed, sitting back down and patting for Shannon to sit beside her.

Lael pulled the pad back into her lap and her pencil and glanced at the drawing, then at the guard. She sighed, ”It’s alright, not enough of the colors that I’m wanting.” She glanced at Shannon and smiled. ”You’re a much prettier subject! Let me draw you!” She smiled, bouncing a bit at the idea. Shannon was a very very beautiful woman, she’d make an ideal subject.

Lael glanced around, then set her pad down, taking Shannon by the shoulders. She positioned her on the bench she had been occupying. She smiled at her encouragingly, ”You don’t mind, do you? We can talk and chit-chat. I could use the company and now my muses are singing your praises.” She teased. She quite liked Shannon’s company and was really hoping the woman would allow her to draw her. She moved to sit back down and picked up her pad, flipping to a new page and grabbing a fresh pencil. She glanced up at Shannon. ”So what brings you to the Palace?” She asked ideally, her hand beginning to fly over the page as she started her sketch.

PM
^
shannon saunders
 Posted: Jul 8 2014, 06:55 PM
shannon saunders

As long as they knew each other, Lael was the sort of person that wouldn’t focus on one thing for too long. Well, unless it came to drawing. Or when it came to it – it all depended on the woman’s mood, really. Her attitude was what relaxed Shannon immensely; hanging around Lael made her feel much younger on an everyday basis. Though some people – like her parents – would probably argue that Shannon should spend her time around people that acted their age. Too bad though; Shan never really followed their rules. There were too many of them, they were too strict. The house had been mostly ran by mum, with dad practically under her slipper. Not that Shannon herself could blame him… her mother could be a very scary woman. But maybe it would have helped if dad stood up to her on that one occasion. Would have been fucking grand.

She smiled before deciding to let her hair back down; it framed her face really nicely when it was like that. Sat on the bench now, she brought the electronic cigarette to her lips yet again. It was always a pleasure to be a part of Lael’s creative process; she did a brilliant job in all of the pieces that Shannon has seen so far. She couldn’t wait but to take a closer look at some of the ones that the other had in her office, there was one in particular that looked oddly familiar… she was sure it probably was her vision just playing tricks on her but she needed to be certain. She thought too much about him lately. It must have been just her.

“You don’t mind, do you? We can talk and chit-chat. I could use the company and now my muses are singing your praises.”

“No, I don’t mind.” She responded, suddenly brought back to reality by the soft voice of her companion.

“So what brings you to the Palace?”

“Oh, I just…” She shrugged, unsure. “I don’t really know…”

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
lael roane
 Posted: Jul 14 2014, 05:22 PM
lael roane

It's in your head,
all the voices mistaken
The moment Shannon gave the okay, Lael situated herself at the proper angle, tilting her head this way and that. Without hesitation, she pulled out her pastels, glad she’d brought them instead of just her pencils. She switched pads too, deciding that the pastels were a better medium for the ethereal beauty that Shannon gave off. She adjusted her own posture so that Shannon was backlit by the sun just right. With a grin of delight Lael started working on the image. It amazed her how much Shannon looked like an angel in the lighting, with her gorgeous blonde hair framing her face. The woman was quite beautiful. In her mind the image of her friend Dom popped into her head. With glee, Lael imagined putting this image next to the charcoal of him. His was all darkness and angles will hers was light and softness. The contrast would be stunning and the idea just brought a grin of pure delight to her lips.

She nodded as Shannon expressed uncertainty as to why she came to the monument. ”Nothing wrong with a good walkabout. They’re always best done with no destination in mind. Let your feet lead you.” Lael knew, she was big on letting her feel, or skateboard, lead her wherever it pleased. The Fates knew where she was to go and she wasn’t one to argue. ”Plus…I’m happy to find you here. I’ll admit I’ve been struggling to find the companion image to my charcoal Fallen Angel in my office…I think you’ll do perfectly.” She admitted, referring to the image of Dom, though she never called the picture by the muses’ name. She always used the names that she’d given the images. Dom had looked like an Angel just fallen from Heaven when she’d seen him sitting in the bar. She’d been enthralled and drawn him in charcoals right that moment. It was how they’d met. To this day the image hangs in her office, a pleasant memory and a beautiful sight to behold. It was one of her favorite pieces done in shades of black and gray, with the brilliant angles and the dark, piercing eyes.

The image of Shannon would be nearly the polar opposite, with light colors and a glow to it. She’d be the Guardian Angel, the one come to ease the pain of the Fallen one. Lael loved having stories behind her images, even if they were ones she made up herself. ”You wouldn’t mind if I hung this in my office would you? I have a piece that dearly needs a companion, and you’re perfect for him.” Her eyes kept flicking up to look at Shannon as her hand moved over the page. One held the pastel the other used to smudge the medium where needed. Every now and again she would brush a stray piece of hair from her face and leave a smudge of pastel on her cheek. She didn’t care, she was often in a state of having paint, charcoal or some sort of art medium decorating her skin.

PM
^
shannon saunders
 Posted: Jul 19 2014, 09:10 AM
shannon saunders

Shannon was grateful of the fact that being in her job, they were required to wear skirts that went down to the knees at least or smart trousers. Every now and again she could also swing jeans, being so likeable a person. Those clothes gave her the coverage she needed, made her feel somewhat safe. She rarely wore skirts though; simply because she wasn’t a massive fan of them. They impeded movement and some of the pencil skirts were a bit risky with how they could roll up. When it came to shorts… she stopped wearing them at about sixteen.

She tried not to move too much but it was a near impossible feat. She reached to the zipper of her black hoodie to reveal the red of her top, thinking that it would be a better colour for the pastels that Lael decided to use. She had another drag of her cigarette and decided that she will get herself a pack of actual ones. She was done with this electronic bullshit, it didn’t help her in the slightest, not anymore. Delighted that Lael considered putting the image up in her office, Shannon smiled with pure glee, something that didn’t happen often anymore. It was good to have a person like Lael around, especially considering Shannon’s past and things that were on her mind. Lael lifted it all with her bubbly nature. It was like anywhere she went, she left people grinning.

“You wouldn’t mind if I hung this in my office would you? I have a piece that dearly needs a companion, and you’re perfect for him.”

She chuckled, Lael’s excitement was infectious.

“I don’t mind at all, I’d be flattered to be in your office.” She responded, beaming at the other. “Can I come and see the two together?”

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
lael roane
 Posted: Jul 31 2014, 12:46 PM
lael roane

It's in your head,
all the voices mistaken
Lael smiled as Shannon fidgeted a bit but said nothing about it. She was used to working people who weren’t professional models. She preferred the non-professionals to the professionals. They had a more candid air to them, and Lael was nothing if not a lover of candid images. It was there you saw someone’s true humanity.

She glanced up to see Shannon beaming. The woman had a beautiful smile, it lit up her eyes and made her entire face just glow. Lael committed that image to memory, moving to work on the eyes while they still held the joyful glow. She wasn’t going to put the joyful smile, she wanted something more peaceful, but the look in Shannon’s eyes was too beautiful to omit. ”You’ve got an amazing smile.” she said idly. It was the truth and Lael often spoke every thought that came across her mind. ”I wish you’d smile like that more. You’re other smile is nice, but this makes you glow and does gorgeous things with your eyes.” her voice held a little awe, which was normal when she was in the grip of the muse.

Once she was content she got the proper look to the eyes, she moved on and was able to listen to what Shannon said. ”Of course! You’re always welcome in my office. Whether to view the art or just chit-chat. My door is always open!” she paused then laughed, ”Except, of course, when the Head Master makes me close it because I’m singing too loud.” she laughed. It was true, often Lael would sing and though she wasn’t a bad singer she wasn’t by any means the best. And some others complained she made too much noise, so she’d have to shut the door. ”Even then you’re welcome, just give the door a good knock.” she smiled.

She moved to add the new pop of red, liking the addition of such a sultry and vibrant color to the soft palette she had going. Shannon had good instincts. ”Plus, I’d love to get your opinion. It was a piece I did when I first came here…being the obnoxious artist I am. I saw this guy and just had to draw him. He was all sultry darkness and angles. I call him my Fallen Angel. But he’s been so lonely up on my wall. You will be perfect, his Guardian Angel. The Fallen one needs a Guardian, some light to brighten his darkness. You’ll be perfect for that!” She prattled on, her excitement growing at the idea of them. ”Oh, if only I could get you two in the same place…the images are going to be stunning separate, but together it would be beautiful.” Her eyes lit up! ”OH! Clay sculptures! Something in the format of Eros and Psyche! That has always been one of my favorites.” She scrunched up her face, ”But I doubt he’d play along. He’s a bit of a grump sometimes, real nice guy but it’s something you have to look for…or force out of him. It’s what drew me to draw him.” She laughed remembering the story. ”It’s a funny story actually.” She scrunched up her nose, leaning forward, the tip of her tongue darting out in concentration as she moved to work on Shannon’s jawline and neck.

PM
^
shannon saunders
 Posted: Aug 14 2014, 07:56 AM
shannon saunders

Lael was the sort of person that found art everywhere, even in the smallest of things. Shannon was immensely flattered to have an artwork of herself hung up in Lael’s office, looking forward to seeing it in full glory, in duet with the ‘fallen angel’. There was only one thing that made her feel a little uncomfortable: and it was the fact that she had to restrict her movements. While Shannon wasn’t as animated a person as some, sitting still was never her forte. She was hell-bent on trying her best however.

As long as they knew each other, Shannon knew that Lael belonged to the more perceptive people. And while what she said about her smile was on the flattering side, she felt a pang of pain in her heart. She didn’t smile like this very often, not anymore. Too much happened for her to be at ease with everything. Her expression fell as she looked down, suddenly feeling all too exposed. She bit her lip gently, her eyes darting to the side, as though she was embarrassed. She smiled again at Lael talking about her singing and this time it was her usual smile, the one she knew and could control.

“You really think I would?” She mused, her hands lying in her lap. The way Lael spoke about the pieces, it was like an adorable love story of sorts. Something that only ever happened in fiction… and Shan learnt that the hard way. Real love tore your heart out.

She reached to brush her hair out of her face, a small wrinkle appearing between her eyebrows as three words played over and over in her head. Not fucking allowed.

“Clay sculptures?” She asked with an air of disbelief in her voice. She then chuckled. “I don’t doubt that. Men and art don’t usually get along. And I’d be interested to hear your story…”

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
lael roane
 Posted: Aug 20 2014, 06:08 PM
lael roane

It's in your head,
all the voices mistaken
Lael was deep into her art, her words often coming in an almost dazed tone. She glanced up and noticed that the smile was gone. Oh, there as a smile there, but it wasn’t the one that made her light up. She’d put up her walls again. This fascinated Lael on a psychological level. Many people didn’t know how to take compliments, but only those who were damaged on the inside put up walls when a compliment was given. This bothered Lael, she never wanted her subjects, or even her friends, to be guarded around her. Lael didn’t judge but she was also not one to press.

She watched Shannon for a moment. Her eyes belying her curiosity. ”You know…if you ever need to talk, about anything. I make a decent listener…and I pride myself in not being a gossip. There’s no pressure…if you don’t want to you don’t have to. But remember that walls can be just as damaging as they are protective.” She waited a beat then smiled brightly at Shannon. ”Dude! I sounded like Yoda or something! Damaging walls can be, mmhmm, yes.” she did her best Yoda voice then laughed. It was her way of lightening the situation. She had a feeling Shannon was hiding something painful behind her walls, so she wasn’t going to push it or stress her out. ”Anyways…” she began drawing again. ”My point was simply if you wanted to talk, I’m here.” She said it lightly, showing that she wasn’t going to pry any further.

Shannon’s question made her look up. ”You mean be a good Guardian? Of course I do. I see you with the children. That’s one of the reasons I like and respect you, you are just as protective of the kids you work with as I am. I see how you help those who need it, you’ve got a soothing presence. My approach is all, laid back and sunshine and rainbows…with hints of awesome music. But you, you are like water. Soothing and refreshing, you sweep in with a gentle ease when it calls for it but underneath there is a strong current that can be powerful when need be.” Lael nodded her head with a smile. ”I’d say that’s totally Guardian Angel material.” She winked at Shannon.

She paused for a second, noticing Shannon’s need to fidget. It was something she’d learned to recognize in her models. ”Why don’t you stretch for a bit. I’ve gotten most of the outline, so I can work on the fill in aspect while you stretch.” She offered.

She laughed at the mention of clay sculptures. ”Yeah…it’s always more difficult to work with live models for clay. That’s why I prefer taking photos and working from those. And while I might be able to convince you to pose, he wouldn’t. The only way I got him to continue posing for the charcoal piece was by buying the rest of his drinks.” she laughed. ”But I’m still convinced that a clay sculpture of you two would be magnificent.” She shrugged.

Shannon inquired about the story and Lael chuckled at the memory. ”It’s actually quite amusing. At least to me. Okay…so here I was, sitting in a bar after having only been in London for a few months. When I look up and there’s this gorgeous man sitting a few seats down, staring into a glass of something or other. The way the low lights hit the angles in his face…his dark hair and the forlorn look on his face. It was…well, I was so thankful I had my trusty backpack with me.” she patted her tie-dye backpack at her side with a smirk. ”I always have art supplies with me and I instantly pulled out my pad and charcoal, because I wanted to capture the darkness that made him so dangerously beautiful. I mean, this guy was all scruff and dark eyes. I swear, had he been a chick I’d have tried to convince him to go home with me and reenact that scene from the Titanic.” she laughed. ”Anyways, so I’m deep into my zone, and I look up to see him looking at me. He gives me this crazy sensual smirk then saunters over. He’d apparently seen me eyeing him but hadn’t realized it was because I was drawing him and not trying to pick him up. He was taken aback at first but, as he put it, the fact that I had charcoal all over my face and hands, well…it put him at ease that I wasn’t some crazy stalker but a loony artist-type.” she shrugged. ”I told him my name and offered to buy him another drink if he’d let me finish my work. He ordered vodka or something and gave me his name then sat pretty for me.” She laughed at the idea of him sitting pretty. ”Okay, more he sat sullen for a bit but after a few more drinks and my idle chatter, he joined in and we got to talking. We’ve been friends ever since. We still laugh about that night…but he won’t let me draw him anymore. I’m convinced if I were to get him high enough I could get him.” she shrugged. ”But I prefer willing models.” She added a bit more to the image than look at Shannon. ”I promised him I wouldn’t sell the work…I don’t think he wants his face out there…plus, it’s got memories attached to now. So I keep it safe and sulky in my office.” She grinned. ”But soon he’ll have his sunshine to keep him company!” She said happily. She leaned back, looking at the image so far. It was coming along nicely. She’d have to take a photo of it and send it to Dom when she put the pair together. Though he humored her artist-antics, she doubted he’d really care. Still, when she put these two together, it effect was going to be awesome!

PM
^
shannon saunders
 Posted: Aug 22 2014, 08:50 AM
shannon saunders

Watching someone do what they love was always enjoyable. Shannon loved it. Seeing Lael draw or paint was always amazing… even though she didn’t do it very often. For the lack of time, mostly, Shannon liked to hide in her work. She liked to take on teacher’s jobs and mark papers and often she’d hear that she should become a teacher herself but she wasn’t sure whether she could do with the responsibility actually being her own. She probably thought too much about those things. She sighed, her expression becoming the one of worry as she listened to the artist speak. She was mostly listening to her voice, rather than to what she was actually saying, she had to admit.

“…walls can be just as damaging as they are protective.”

She was right and Shannon knew it but there wasn’t really much she could do to lower them. She couldn’t trust people around her not to hurt her and while yeah, they could be damaging, she’d rather do the damage herself. She didn’t want someone to walk into her life and destroy it all over again. That’s why she could never let herself fall in love again. Though she knew full well, she hasn’t really fallen out of it. Even after all those years. Because when he held her at the docks, when his hand was covering her lips… her heart missed several beats. Similarly to now.

“My point was simply if you wanted to talk, I’m here.”

Shannon looked at Lael, the tiniest smile brightening her face. It was really helpful to know people like her.

“Thank you.” She murmured. And while she didn’t necessarily plan to take her up on the offer, she appreciated it and she knew that it was sincere. She intently listened to Lael’s response to her initial question whether she’d make a good Guardian Angel and really, she hardly believed that question ever passed her lips – she was thirty for god’s sake. That being said, the comparison of her to water sounded quite nice.

“Why don’t you stretch for a bit. I’ve gotten most of the outline, so I can work on the fill in aspect while you stretch.”

Thankful, Shannon stood up and stretched. It really shouldn’t be that hard to hold one position for a bit… but for some reason it was. It might have been the fact that if she was still, it was that much harder to focus her thoughts on something that was less painful than what… or rather, who she kept drifting to.

“I can’t imagine posing all day for a sculpture, that must be agonising.” She commented, amused by the prospect. “And yeah, I do doubt it. You’re quite talented in the art of convincing people to do what you want but not that much.”

She listened to Lael’s story as she settled back down, cracking her knuckles one by one. Some of the phrasing seemed dangerously familiar but she chalked it up to her obsession. It was easier to deal with most things like that.

“I’m really looking forward to seeing them both in full glory.” She said, resting her head on her hand, unknowingly showing off the ring that decorated her left hand. Her only real memory of him.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
lael roane
 Posted: Aug 26 2014, 08:01 AM
lael roane

It's in your head,
all the voices mistaken
Lael nearly laughed from the thankful look on Shannon’s face when told she could stretch. Lael could only sit still when meditating or working on artwork. Even then, while drawing or painting, she her hands were moving and often her body moved without her realizing it. So she could really understand the difficulty of forcing a model to sit still for unfair amounts of time. Lael always tried to give them breaks as often as she could.

Lael nodded her head, ”I’ve done it a few times before and if you don’t have a sympathetic artist, it can be excruciating. Especially if the pose is ridiculous. That’s why when I do it, I try to work from photographs as much as possible. And I take a lot of photos…so that I can get every angle right. Though if I can work from the real thing I do, but it’s usually a day long process because I try to give them as many breaks as I can. And I usually keep the poses simple, so it’s not as difficult.” she yammered on, making one or two adjustments to the image as she waited for Shannon to be ready again. Since she was her friend, she was willing to give her whatever time she needed.

She glanced up with a smile as Shannon mention the images, it was then she saw the sun glint off a shiny ring on her finger. It was a beautiful piece. Without thinking, she reached out and gently snagged her hand, ”Ooh, I love the ring. Where’d you get it?” She asked ideally, the physical contact being natural for her. Lael was a very touchy-feely type person, so touching another individual wasn’t a big deal to her. On the flip side, she often forgot that others weren’t as fond of being touched. Nonetheless, she was curious about the background of the ring. From the way it sat on her finger, as though never removed, it must have had some meaning behind it. She was curious about the story.

PM
^
shannon saunders
 Posted: Sep 2 2014, 07:01 AM
shannon saunders

Shannon smiled gently, seeing Lael’s amusement. She wondered just how long it’d take of staying still if she’d ever end up posing for a sculpture for Lael but then decided she really didn’t want to think about it. It didn’t sound at all exciting. While the outcome would be probably brilliant, considering Lael’s skills, Shannon didn’t think herself ready to do something like that. She was really curious by now who that guy that the artist kept talking about was… and kind of hoped that he just sounded awfully familiar. Because while she knew that the world wasn’t all that big, she didn’t want to have proof of it right in front of her. Seeing Dominic now, just when she managed to piece her life back together somehow, would ruin everything. Yes, she did love him. But she was also absolutely terrified of the man. That was something that she didn’t manage to tackle over the years of being apart and she’d rather really not touch the subject if she didn’t absolutely have to. She tried to pay attention to what Lael was saying. She knew that the artist was talking about sculptures but everything else went completely over her head.

Her eyes widened when her hand was taken and she snatched it back without thinking, cradling it to her chest.

Fuck.

“Sorry…” She muttered, quietly, her eyes cast down and her eyebrows together. “It’s just, it’s got a lot of sentimental value.” She stuttered a bit, suddenly feeling attacked. She knew that she probably should have shelved it a long time ago but it was a token. Something that she’d gotten from him. It was a silly infinity ring… but it had the deepest of meanings to her. And that was why she never shelved it – she’d get too worried about it when it wasn’t around on her finger. She’d worn it for way too many years for her finger to feel fine without it on there. Whenever she absolutely had to take it off, her hand just felt naked. She looked up at her friend. “I’d rather not talk about this, if that’s alright?...” She murmured in question.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
lael roane
 Posted: Sep 10 2014, 02:58 PM
lael roane

It's in your head,
all the voices mistaken
Lael jumped as Shannon snatched her hand away. Instinctively Lael put her hands up by her shoulders, palms out, to show she meant no harm. ”Woah! Sorry!” she said, a little startled herself by the reaction. She scooted back a bit, giving the suddenly alarmed Shannon some room.

She should have known better than to just grab someone’s hand. Lael was just such a touchy person, it never occurred to her that it bothered others. ”Dude, mea culpa! It’s my fault all the way.” she said in response to Shannon’s stuttered explanation. She put her pad back in her lap and tried to give Shannon a sense of space.

”No explanation needed, it’s all good. I’m sorry doll. You’ve just discovered one of my bad habits.” she smiled slightly, trying to lighten things back up. It was obvious the ring was important but also a very sensitive subject. It gave Shannon that haunted look in her eyes she sometimes got when she thought no one was looking.

”Blame it on life growing up in a traveling circus, I have no sense of personal space.” she laughed. ”When you’ve grown up napping with elephants and tigers, you really don’t think before touching someone else. I always forget to ask. I just saw a shiny thing and grabbed for it.” she shrugged her shoulder but laughed off her flaw. It was a habit of hers. When someone else was uncomfortable, she’d try to lighten the situation by making fun of herself. ”You’d think I was a squirrel or something.” she shook her head.

It was more than obvious that a change of subject was needed. Lael was good at that, she could easily change subjects. ”Did I ever tell you I grew up with circus folks?” she asked, picking up her pastels and beginning to work on her piece again. She ask for Shannon to sit still, she just worked from memory. She wouldn’t restrict Shannon at the moment, she knew better. She was smart enough to know that asking Shannon to sit still at this moment would likely result in the girl feeling trapped. So instead, Lael blathered on about something completely different. ”Yeah…it probably explains a lot about me. My parents were an acrobat couple in a private traveling circus.” she smiled, thinking fondly of her parents. She loved them dearly, wrote them often. They would always send her post cards from wherever they were at the time. They were actually in the States at the moment, which was pretty neat.

PM
^
shannon saunders
 Posted: Sep 19 2014, 09:52 AM
shannon saunders

She didn’t feel like she could apologise enough. Maybe it really was time to put it behind, wear a different ring so that her hand wasn’t feeling like it was missing something. Judging by her adverse reaction, it was. The need to protect it arose. And it happened with anyone and everyone… though she found it much easier when the person in question wasn’t up in her personal space as much. While she knew Lael and that the artist wouldn’t be a threat, she had no way of shutting her instincts off.

“No, I really shouldn’t react like this.” She responded, looking away from the younger woman, her cheeks burning with embarrassment. “It’s not a bad habit…” She attempted to make light of it, though her heart wasn’t in it. She let her hand go, back to her side.

“I’m usually fine with being touched.” She shrugged. “It’s just the ring.” Admitting it might have not been easy but it was necessary, or at least it felt like it was, in order to move on. The electronic cigarette was back again, much like a lifeline this time around as she took long drags.

“No, I wasn’t aware.” She responded. “But… yeah, I would say it definitely explains things.” Noticing that Lael was drawing again, Shannon initially tensed up but then, little by little, she relaxed. It was all absolutely fine and she had to keep repeating that to herself, even as she eventually stilled. She was grateful that Lael didn’t ask her to do so, knowing that the state Shannon was in would impact the perception she had of the situation in general. And even though she didn’t want it to, she wanted to keep it all out of her head, keep one Dominic Brooks out of her head, but he was always bound to come back.

What was even worse was the fact that she didn’t know just how close she was to getting herself right back into this all over again.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll

autumn leaves has been skinned exclusively for far beyond the looking glass by asya.
she would appreciate it if you didn't steal/use this skin without her permission.
for full credits, please view the credits post here.