Add Reply
New Poll

darkness comes at dawn, tag you're it: aubrey/eve
jenna oswald
 Posted: Oct 28 2014, 01:33 AM
I CAN TURN IT ON, BE A GOOD MACHINE, I CAN HOLD THE WEIGHT OF WORLDS, IF THAT'S WHAT YOU NEED, BE YOUR EVERYTHING, I CAN DO IT, I CAN DO IT, I'LL GET THROUGH IT, BUT I'M ONLY HUMAN, AND I BLEED WHEN I FALL DOWN, I'M ONLY HUMAN, AND I CRASH AND I BREAK DOWN, YOUR WORDS IN MY HEAD, KNIVES IN MY HEART, YOU BUILD ME UP AND THEN I FALL APART, 'CAUSE I'M ONLY HUMAN
28CardsHACKER & FORGER64 postsapplicationplotting
jenna oswald

kings and queens,
INTO THE NIGHT... DESPERATE AND BROKEN... THE SOUND OF A FIGHT... FATHER HAS SPOKEN... WE WERE THE KINGS AND QUEENS OF PROMISE, WE WERE THE VICTIMS OF OURSELVES, MAYBE THE CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD, BETWEEN HEAVEN AND HELL, HEAVEN AND HELL... INTO YOUR EYES... HOPELESS AND TAKEN... WE STOLE OUR NEW LIVES... THROUGH BLOOD AND NAME... IN DEFENSE OF OUR DREAMS... IN DEFENSE OF OUR DREAMS (DREAMS DREAMS) WE WERE THE KINGS AND QUEENS OF PROMISE, WE WERE THE VICTIMS OF OURSELVES, MAYBE THE CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD, BETWEEN HEAVEN AND HELL, HEAVEN AND HELL... THE AGE OF MAN IS OVER, DARKNESS COMES AT DAWN... THESE LESSONS THAT WE'VE LEARNED HERE, HAVE ONLY JUST BEGUN
Jenna was venturing out of doors for once. It didn't happen often these days due to it being so bitterly cold in the winter or oppressively hot – and reminiscent of the day she'd met Fintan – in the summer, but every once in a while, thing struck a perfect balance and made going outside worth the crowds and the din of traffic. Today offered up one such afternoon. And thus, because someone (not Skye) had made a comment recently about how unusually pale she was looking, she packed up her laptop and a few books and left her flat. It really was a beautiful afternoon if one ignored the smell and the cacophony of cars and people. A music player solved the latter problem for Jen but not the former, which she was perfectly alright with; it was easier to tune out unpleasant scents than too-loud sounds. She considered stopping by Charley's to pick up Tristan and take the Shiba Inu with her to Leicester Square and then quickly gave up the idea.

Though she missed her pets, putting Tristan and her ferret Leena in Charley's care had been the best choice for all parties involved, because neither she nor Skye was home often enough to ensure that they were properly cared for, and she trusted that her assistant would do an excellent job. Going to visit them would only make Jenna want to take them back, the hassle that would come with transporting them back and forth between Wonderland and London be damned, and that was the last thing she needed right now. Hitching her bag higher up on her shoulder, she sighed quietly. Things had finally calmed down in Wonderland now that the wedding and coronations were over and done with – though everyone was still adjusting to have a new Queen in the palace – and she was glad for the reduction of activity and stress. She'd leapt at the opportunity to return to London after being stuck in Wonderland dealing with preparations for what she thought was far too long.

Jen hadn't told anyone that she'd returned from her "trip", either. Usually, she checked in with Charley to see if any good jobs had come her way while she was gone, but she wasn't planning on staying in London for more than a day or two, and plus she really just wanted to have some time to herself. She'd been feeling very overstimulated lately which had absolutely nothing to do with a certain White Rabbit named Fintan who seemed to be everywhere she turned these days. Blowing out a breath, she surveyed the square. It was crowded, like it always was at this time of day, but there were still little pockets of seclusion where people like Jenna could set themselves up and go mostly unnoticed if they knew what to look for. Finding one such pocket, she pulled out her laptop and settled in, prepared to spend the next several hours in her spot. It had been a while since she'd coded just for the hell of it, and her "muscles" needed the exercise.

Logging on to her own secure server, she navigated to a hacker message board she frequented and checked the challenge list, which ranged from beginner shit like "code and release a Trojan horse that reroutes the user to stupid cat videos every time they click a link" to more advanced (and illegal) things such as "hack into Parliament" – Jen may or may not have done that once before – or "funnel so-and-so's funds through an account in the Cayman's". She was looking for something that would challenge her skills without getting her arrested; her "rebel phase" was over and done with, thanks very much. It took about ten minutes of scrolling through challenges before she found something that interested her. "Build a website that's geared toward raising awareness about a disease/charity/little-known but important topic and track how many hits, redirects, shares, et cetera you get."

The web page itself wouldn't be difficult since Jenna had started doing those at around the age of eight, but finding all the right information and setting up all the proper tracking programs would take a good chunk of time and effort. Plus she would need to make the site appealing if she wanted people to actually spend more than a few seconds perusing it and then share it with their friends and/or followers. Signing herself up for the challenge, she started the timer on her laptop's taskbar and got to work, a topic already in mind. Those who knew "Honey Badger" (a moniker the other hackers had given Jen because she seemed calm and laid back most of the time but would go absolutely batshit when provoked) fairly well knew that she would educate anyone and everyone about how to prevent, report, or recover from rape whenever she had the chance. She didn't want anyone else to have to suffer the way she had. The way she still did.

On more than one occasion, women's shelters in London had found themselves the recipient of a large donation from an anonymous donor (what harm was there in taking other people's ill-gotten gains and putting them to good use?), and she planned on sharing information on those shelters and their various charities for this challenge. Jenna didn't even care if she won – she just wanted to get the word out.

TAG: BREE Ⅱ OUTFIT: HERE. Ⅱ NOTES: PICKPOCKET, MEET HACKER. HACKER, PICKPOCKET. :D Ⅱ WORDS: 899

♥thanks
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

autumn leaves has been skinned exclusively for far beyond the looking glass by asya.
she would appreciate it if you didn't steal/use this skin without her permission.
for full credits, please view the credits post here.